Biosolids are a nutrient-rich fertilizer high in organic matter and micro-nutrients essential for hardy plant growth. They are ideal for use in agribusiness, land reclamation, manufacturing topsoil, forest improvement and public works projects. Farmers use a nutrient management plan with biosolids, just like they do with manure or any other fertilizer.
They are also a cost-effective alternative that add nutrients, and because the fertilizer is slow-release, benefits are released throughout the year instead of all at once like commercial fertilizers.
RMI provides a critical link in the recycling chain by using biosolids as a fertilizer and soil amendment, in the manufacture of engineered soils used in agriculture, land reclamation, and municipal/highway revitalization projects. Biosolids are an excellent source of slow-release nitrogen and phosphorus and an excellent source of potassium and lime.
- Supplies plant-available nitrogen
- Improves overall plant growth and crop yields
- Provides organic matter for better soil
- Offers a cost-effective alternative to commercial fertilizers
- Allows conventional equipment handling
- May also provide lime (CaCO3)
Elements of a Successful Program:
- Product Quality – RMI performs a detailed evaluation of the nutrient value of the biosolids and maintains a rigorous quality assurance program that includes ongoing testing.
- The Right Site – RMI conducts an extensive site review to assess individual needs and limitations, including collecting soil samples to identify nutrient levels.
- Sound Management – RMI will tailor management strategies for all aspects of your biosolids land application program, including steps to ensure proper application rates, a plan to address any odor events that may occur, and the use of best management practices (BMPs).
RMI will provide the type and quantity of biosolids suitable to your operation
- Agricultural Use – RMI’s recommendation for the bulk biosolids product line is based on the specific soil and agronomic conditions at your site. Biosolids are easily managed using conventional farm equipment and manure spreaders. RMI prepares a nutrient management plan and obtains any local or state approvals that may be required.
- Topsoil Dealers – Biosolids enhance topsoils and can be blended with conventional construction equipment. For even better topsoil, Biosolids are used in conjunction with RMI short paper fiber and wood ash.
The Heart & Soil® Biosolids product is available in bulk by the truck-load.
Looking for more information? Download our Biosolids Rack Card!
Click on this link for information: Frequently Asked Questions – Biosolids
RMI—Your Partner from Start to Finish
Staff soil scientists and agronomists will assist you in determining the best application for your project, including site, soil, and nutrient management considerations. RMI product quality and technical support assures that you get the results you are looking for in a cost-effective and environmentally friendly manner.
For more information about RMI services or products, please contact us at