Power plants have been using wood to make electricity in New England for over 20 years. A secondary product of electric power generation, is a wood ash heritage product used in agriculture, compost and public works projects.
- Farmers – Wood ash is the perfect product for Northeastern soils as a natural fertilizer with the added benefit of fast-acting liming. Widely established as the ideal choice for improving soils and crops, farmers have enjoyed the benefits of using wood ash to sweeten their fields and improve their crops for over 20 years. For farmers, wood ash has become a cornerstone of soil fertility.
- Topsoil Purveyors – When added to loam wood ash ensures proper soil pH, and helps achieve a rich, dark color. The enhanced topsoil can be sold for a premium price and guarantees topnotch performance.
- Compost Facilities – Wood ash takes care of odors. The carbon in wood ash is highly effective in eliminating odors generated through composting and curing processes.
Heart & Soil® Wood Ash
For generations wood ash has been used in agricultural soil applications as it recycles nutrients back to the land. RMI provides a critical link in the recycling chain by using wood ash as a soil amendment and odor controlling material. Heart & Soil® Wood Ash is both OMRI Listed®, which means it may be used on operations that are certified organic under the National Organic Program.
Multiple Benefits of Wood Ash:
- Naturally improves soil pH, making nutrients in the soil more available to plants
- Provides essential nutrients like potassium, magnesium and zinc
- Allows conventional equipment handling
- OMRI Listed® for use by organic farmers
Heart & Soil® Wood Ash is OMRI Listed®
Wood Ash is the natural, clean choice fertilizer that is produced throughout the Northeast for use as a soil amendment. Derived from natural wood ash, it is a non-synthetic soil amendment approved for use by organic growers.
For generations wood ash has been used in agricultural soil applications as it recycles nutrients back to the land. OMRI Listed® products may be used on operations that are certified organic under the National Organic Program. Wood Ash is OMRI Listed® hts-4214.
Looking for more information? Download our Wood Ash Rack Card!
Click on this link for information: Frequently Asked Questions – Wood Ash
RMI—Your Partner from Start to Finish
Staff soil scientists and agronomists will assist you in determining the best application for your project, including site, soil, and nutrient management considerations. RMI product quality and technical support assures that you get the results you are looking for in a cost-effective and environmentally friendly manner.
For more information about our RMI services or products, please contact us at